Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Time is on My Side

Time is on my side (I think). Here I sit waiting….. waiting ….. waiting. This is the part of my job I really love the most. I had asked a supervisor for access to a secure facility. Then I had asked him again. Here I sit….. waiting. Ugh.

Here’s something to ponder; It was brought to my attention that several previous world powers of their times (in particular, Holland, Spain and England) all had several things in common. They had at one point based their economies on manufacturing and trade. Later they had all become the premier military force of the time. They had all also, abandoned their rolls as producers of goods for that of financiers. And finally, they had all become more average powers, economically, politically and militarily. Does any of this sound familiar??

We as a country have ceased producing “added value” goods and are now basing our economy on banking and finance. Moving money. Not producing income. Not producing cars, steel, finished lumber, computers, or anything else that we had during the greatest expansion of the middle class the world had ever seen. Now we produce financial products, and debt. We have sold company after company to foreign interests, which in and of itself isn’t horrible until you consider that while the company in question continues to run and continues to employ people (usually fewer of them with fewer benefits), the owning company takes the profit. Essentially skimming the cream of the company, removing it from the American infrastructure permanently.

So that’s something to chew on while your waiting…… waiting ……waiting.

278 days to go

No comments: