Thursday, April 24, 2008

Not a bad day all told

Some days are better than others. That pretty much goes without saying. What is really nice is when a small part of the day makes the whole thing and turns an otherwise ordinary, spending time til retirement kinda day to a pretty good one. It was simple, surprisingly so. I got to go for a ride after work. That was it. 90 minutes of turning pedals over and over. Not even any sort of special route, nothing new, a route that I do as a default when I want to knock it out in under a couple of hours. It was perfect weather wise. I worked the legs a little hard at the gym yesterday, so I wasn’t expecting anything special. But after I got warmed up, I was out on a long flat 3-mile section. The cadence came up, and I was off. It was all just really nice. Speed was a little higher than usual; I smoked everybody but one guy who just sucked wheel for about 7 miles. Even then, he didn’t get away so much as our paths went different directions. It was just a good day. Back to the salt mine tomorrow.

I saw one of the first smart bike depots in Farragut Square yesterday. It will be interesting to see how this all wears, with tagging, abuse and weather. I really do hope this works. Cities will not solve their traffic and pollution problems until they actually eliminate cars from the road. Make roads wider and/or more roads will only lead to more traffic. At the end of the day the only answer is to get people out of their cars. Full stop. There lots of parts to the solution, but the end result has to be less cars: period.



Hillary pulled just enough out of her ass in Pennsylvania to prolong the agony. My question is; how many of the more conservative democrats that are Hillary’s stronger pull, will opt for “the maverick” John McCain anyway, no matter who wins the Democratic nomination. Good news is that while McCain isn’t spending money or taking political hits, he’s only getting part time press.

Anyway, there it is for now

270 days left

No comments: